Feb 3, 2021

Quintessential campaiging.


Okay... here we go again, I am registered Republican. The reason I put that out there is because I want it to preface my remarks. Before people think I’m a shill for a particular party line, they see the facts up front, they get an idea of how I view the current situation and the coming election.

So, unless you were in a cave over the last two days, you had to have noticed the focus of all the news media outlets; Wall Street.

Specifically, how things are bad on Wall Street and how the government is stepping in to bail people out. By government... I mean you! Ultimately it’s the American taxpayer that is going to be footing the bill.

Now, I’ve been trying to break down the positioning of the current campaigns. Two new ads just got rolled out and each of them has an interesting slant.

The Obama campaign puts it simply, government has failed you. You, the American people have been failed by your government because the government stood idly by while letting the markets run wild and do what they want without any kind of oversight.

The McCain campaign supposes that the American worker is the greatest worker on the planet but that Wall Street has failed us all.

Two very interesting approaches, don’t you think?

The good ole American worker... slugging it out but even so those evil Wall Street types like Snidely Whiplash have just come in and absconded with bags full of money! See but I have a problem here.

The reason I have a problem is because the very people who are saying this are the same people who advocated a lack of federal oversight in the markets. The buzz word in this instance is DEREGULATION! Government needs to get out of business’ way! Sound familiar?

If government would just stop interfering in the free marketplace, market forces would take hold and everything would be peachy.

At least that is what they would have you to believe.

Now, the day after, the same people are running around talking about how the government hasn’t regulated the industry enough... seems like a day late and a dollar short.

Isn’t it the government’s role to provide the framework for the marketplace? Isn’t that what is being advocated now?
So, I know I had begun writing this back when we were sliding into the Great Recession. Obama won but, here’s the thing NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT - NO ONE ON WALL STREET WAS EVER PROSECUTED BY THE OBAMA JUSTICE DEPARTMENT!

Think about that for a second, no one on Wall Street ever paid a price for their misdeeds.

That was Obama in a nutshell for you.
 

No comments: